3/25/2011

Use the Google Translate tool

Hiragana - Part I (b)

<Skill Levels: Never Learned Before, Beginner, Intermediate>

I have added the "Google Translate" tool on my blog today. You will see it under my Greetings on the right column. I set the default direction to translate from Japanese to English, but you can change it to the language of your choice. If you speak Spanish, then change English to Spanish.

Now, let's find out what the following Hiragana means. If you have never learned Japanese before, copy my Hiragana letters and paste them onto the translation box. If you are a beginner and above, type the Hiragana letters yourself to practice typing. If you are an intermediate, write in Kanji + Hiragana.

1: あさ
2: てんき
3: あめ
4:がっこう
5: きょう
6: にほんご
7: えいご
8:べんきょう
9: かんたん
10: むずかしい

Now, let's translate short Japanese sentences.
1: にほんごは、かんたんです。
2: にほんごを、べんきょうしています。
3: あさごはんをたべました。
4: いいてんきですね。
5: きょうは、さむいですね。

Ok, I tested these words to translate with this tool. When I typed "あめ" (ame), the English translation came out to be "candy."  Yes, it is correct, but I wish it displayed "candy or rain." 飴(あめ):candy & 雨(あめ) rain are homonyms (that pronounce the same but have different meanings).  When I typed "にほんご" then the English translation was "Nihongo." It is fine for Japanese people and those who have been learning the language for a while, but it shows how limited the tool can be.  Nihongo means Japanese (language). I wish such a basic word could be perfectly translated.  Nevertheless, the tool is very useful. Use it at your leisure, and don't forget to cross reference.